Thursday, August 23, 2012

Team Missing Chromosome

I went on a date tonight.

That's not really news....I mean, from time to time I go on dates. At this point, I'm beginning to believe I go on dates not to actually date someone, but for blog fodder.

I was already hesitant on this date -- in two separate emails he referred to women as "babes."

Now don't get me wrong -- I often toss the phrase around when talking to girlfriends, good guy friends....certain members of my soccer team. But I have well established relationships with those people and it's not used in a derogatory way -- it's a term of affection.

So prior to my date he used the term on at least two occasions to refer generally to women. Strike one. There's really no good excuse for why he referred to women as babes -- the first reference was his comment that if he were to choose a religion he'd go with Mormonsim because they have hot babes and the second unfortunate reference was that he was having a boys night in (playing board games...cause that's super not nerdy?!?!) because his friend had "met some babe and was moving to Florida."

Ok, so the lack of respect, at least in this feminists opinion, for women is very clear early on.

I had no idea the level it was at until I went on our date.

He was chivalrous enough to buy tea (I don't drink coffee but coffee shops are fairly innocuous and easy to escape from).....but he did it with a coupon.

Now if you've ever read dating disaster stories, many begin (and consequently end) with the guy whipping out a coupon.

So after we got our discounted tea at Peet's coffee, we sat down and engaged in some idle chatter.  We talked about what I did, what he did, why he still lived with his parents even though he was debt free (I'd like to keep it that way.....really?  You know you can do that AND rent...your OWN apartment....you don't get laid often do you?) why he quit law, etc.

First, my mother would hate, hate him because he quit law.  I could hear her now "why even bother going to law school and taking the bar if you're not going to be a lawyer."  It's beyond her that people wouldn't want to be lawyers -- but that's because I love it and I have a passion for it and she doesn't know what it's like to hate the practice.

Anyways, somehow a comment about how I disagreed with how much value we put on playing a sport better than everyone else when you're a male rather than on real skills or values that better society.

Basically the conversation spiraled downward into a horrid conversation about how "that's just the way the world is so you should deal with it" to the final WTF moment of the night when he says "not my fault God made you the ones to have babies."

He's lucky he left the date without something poking from his jugular.

But as if that wasn't bad enough, he went on to tell me, in an email after our "date" how he looked up points of contention and was "right."  He fucking emailed me to prove how "right" he was and how "wrong" my opinion (which having a double x chromosome clearly precludes me from having) was and ended it by signing off with "that's another point for Team Y Chromosome."

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment