We got randomly assigned to tables where we're supposed to mix and mingle and brainstorm together.
For the record, I hate doing shit like that. I hate pretending I care what the other people at my table have to say; I hate pretending I care about whatever lame exercise they have us engaging our minds in. I often feel like it's a waste of time -- you're asking me to brainstorm on topics I deal with every day. Every table says the same damn thing, we all think outside the same damn box.
But the worst part of these exercises....The Talker.
You all know who "The Talker" is.
And I confess, there are times when I've been "The Talker." I've been that super obnoxious person in the room who is always raising her hand, always has something to say, some opinion to contribute. But when I really started to listen, when I decided I didn't really feel like participating anymore, I realized I hated "The Talker." I'd roll my eyes, daydream when she opened her mouth, and generally ignore everything out of her mouth.
To all those for whom I was "The Talker," my sincerest apologies.
But back to "The Talker" in this conference. Well, actually there's three. One for every two tables. There's also the token male at each table, which is cute.
"The Talker" at my table is a regular know it all; she has an opinion on everything and thinks everyone should know it. The other "Talkers" don't grind on me as much -- could be because they're at other tables so when we do our paltry exercises in "thinking outside the box" I don't have to listen to them. At my table, I can't escape "The Talker."
Don't get me wrong. She means well. I'd just like to duct tape her well meaning mouth shut for at least one day. We're also only on day one. There are three days left.
Wonder what the policy about drinking booze during these exercises is?
No comments:
Post a Comment