Saturday, January 22, 2011

POP Dec

When people aren't married and have bebies, and dad has the presence of mind to be there when their progeny is born screaming and wailing into this world, he signs a paper saying "yep, i couldn't keep it in my pants so now i'm biologically a father."

It's called a voluntary declaration of paternity. No it doesn't mean you're a dad because lord knows contributing that extra x or y chromosome does not a father make. It simply means you a: are bio dad or b: believe you're bio dad (hey this may sound bitter and cynical, but do you know how many of my clients tell me "I think he's the dad, but I can't be sure").

Now in colloquial lawyer speak, we've always called it a "Pop Dec." I figured it was just a cute nickname and easier to say than voluntary declaration of paternity. Dad = pop, it's a declaration; ergo "pop dec."

Apparently I was wrong in my assumption.

It stands for Paternity Opportunity Program. P.O.P. Dec.

They have a program for this? And all you have to do is sign a paper?

Wow....I mean I'm impressed and it's been just SO effective. What all does the "opportunity program" involve aside from being hit with child support and deciding that "parenting" messes with your party hardy lifestyle?

Occasionally people take advantage of this program and are loving parents and actually quite successful in being more than just a chromosome contributor.

But for others.....well it's why I'm employed.

But really, "paternity opportunity program?" Just goes to prove the government really does have a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment